Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Yoked

I've been following the lesson plan for Sunday School this year, which means I've been reading the New Testament.  After the Book of Mormon, the New Testament is the standard work with which I am most familiar, which means that I'm not so much following the narrative as I am looking for details that I missed before.

Recently I read where the Savior tells us to "take [his] yoke upon [us]" and find rest.  I looked up what a yoke was, even though I already knew what I would find.  What really helped was an image to better help us visualize what the yoke is.


Again, I knew what a yoke looked like, but this time, I really needed to see it.  While I know that the common interpretation is that we're strapped to one side with the Savior on the other, this time I saw it differently.  Christ is the master, the one who places the yoke of responsibility upon us, but who then is sharing the yoke with us?  Our spouse.  This simple metaphor that he gave is about eternal marriage.  While we're alone, we can still have a relationship with Christ, but we have just a basic harness to pull.  Once we make the highest covenant we can make in this life, we are part of a partnership.

I've been pulling my yoke all alone for awhile now.  I look forward to finalizing the end of my current partnership and finding someone who will pull her share of the yoke.

1 comment:

Grandma Bonnie said...

It's very important that your companion has the same spiritual muscle as you And the same goals.