Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Tuesdays with Media: Many Shades of Black

Have you ever listened to a song that you haven't heard in a while and now it has a new meaning for you because of the way you life has changed since the last time you heard it?  I had that very experience recently with the song "Many Shades of Black" by The Raconteurs:


This is an odd one.  The music is lighthearted with a nice beat, but the lyrics are about a painful break-up.  The chorus in particular calls out to me:
Everybody sees / And everyone agrees
That you and I are wrong / And it's been that way too long
Take it as it comes / and be thankful when it's done
There's so many ways to act / and there's many shades of black
Break-ups aren't usually easy, but in retrospect, ours has been coming for a long, long time.  In an odd way, I'm happy that I now have that personal insight thanks to Jack White and Brendan Benson, the song's writers.

No comments: