Friday, October 23, 2015

Surprise Pie

Remember last week when I made mini pumpkin pies to share with my coworkers?  Well, my original plan was to make a double batch and save a few mini pies to share with the Larsens.  When I had my panic attack, I decided to change gears and make a full pie in addition to the miniature ones.  I only have one muffin pan and I wanted to be done as quickly as possible and by using a pie tin I was able to bake both batches at once.  Once everything was out of the oven and cooling on the counter, one question remained: to whom do I give the pie?  A full pie would be too much for Ian and the kids (he's watching everyone's sugar intake), but I still needed to find it a good home.

After mulling it over, I decided to take it to the family from church that wanted me to tutor their son, Jonathan.  I still hadn't heard from the kid, so I thought I might add some motivation in the form of a large pumpkin pie (using my very popular "Double Sweet" recipe).  On Saturday morning, I arrived to the family's home with the pie -- I said I knew I would be in the area, so I might as well drop off a pie.  The mom was absolutely shocked that a man would bake something, let alone a pie.  I met Jonathan, who seemed a little uncomfortable at first, perhaps because he wasn't ready for my help and felt awkward about it, but he warmed up a little while we chatted for a few minutes.  After about ten minutes, I said my goodbyes and went my way.

Since I'm friends with the family's oldest daughter, Erin, I was able to hear from her the response that everyone had to the pie: they loved it.  On top of that, both the mom and dad came up to me the following Sunday to personally thank me for the pie I brought them.

It's kind of amazing: you see someone at church and you're just "some guy"; you drop off a homemade dessert and suddenly you're "Jordan the Baker."

No comments: