Friday, October 9, 2015

No Leads

Genealogy is now easier than it's ever been, according to everyone who speaks in church about it.  Why then, is it still so dang hard?

I admit, I'm new to the whole family history thing, so I have no memories of writing letters to archive offices for information and receiving a microfiche card that has to be taken to a library to use a machine to read a blurry image of a handwritten document that ultimately provides no useful information, but it's still proving trickier than just following hyperlinks.

Of particular trouble is my great-great-great grandfather, John Howard Byrd.  I can trace back to him without issue, but it's unclear who his parents are.  I have two reasonable candidates, but no documents to prove parentage.  I've prayed about it and I feel that I need to pursue the more obscure choice, which leaves me feeling even more lost than I already was.

I guess my point is this: if anyone has any experience doing genealogical research and has any tips for me, I could definitely use them.

2 comments:

Grandma Bonnie said...

I the most success I have ever had was when I hired a genealogist. When the Redlands Temple opened I submitted over 100 name. Writing a check is much easier. I hopes this helps you it certainly did wonders due no,

Grandma Bonnie said...

The last two word should have been for me.