Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Fresh Air and Sunshine

Last week when I had so much trouble with my allergies, I decided to take a walk outside on my lunch break.  Since I only suffer from indoor allergies, walking outside gives me a chance to clear my sinus of dust and mold.  Walking outside had mixed results and it was clear that I need to continue using my nasal spray, but I decided to continue walking.

I sit at a desk for up to eight hours a day; while I do get up regularly to refill my water bottle or use the restroom, I'm stuck inside for a while.  Then once I leave the office, I go home, exercise and watch some TV before I shower and go to bed.  Other than driving and walking to and from my car, I'm inside all day.  Walking outside for twenty minutes gives me some much needed time outdoors.  The office park where I work is beautifully landscaped, so while I walk I also get to enjoy numerous types of flowers, trees, and shrubs.  Plus, vitamin D (which our bodies produce when we're exposed to sunlight) has been shown to improve mood and fight depression.

When I walk, I keep my pace pretty slow and I don't listen to music or anything else.  I just enjoy the time outside.  I'm sure as the weather turns and we get closer to winter, I'll have to stop taking lunchtime walks, but for now they're a welcome break from being indoors all day.

No comments: