Wednesday, November 5, 2014

A Job Well Earned

I got a job!

I'll be working as a technical writer for Danfoss, a Danish-based manufacturer of HVAC components.  I'll be working mostly in the marketing department, but there will be other areas where my skills will be employed as well.

One thing about this job is that it really feels earned.  Not that all of my past work experiences have prepared me for this position, but that I had to go through a lot to get hired.  Let me explain.

About two weeks ago, I was contacted by the head of HR about the job after seeing my resume posted on a job board.  She interviewed me over the phone, and while it went okay, I felt like I've done a better job of selling myself in the past.  Even so, the next week she contacted me to set up another phone interview, this time a conference call with the marketing manager and the product manager. That interview went much better.  While the marketing manager seemed to be happy with my responses, the product manager was much more enthusiastic: on multiple occasions he told me that he really liked what I said or how I described my approach to problem-solving.  Later that week, I was called in for an actual in-person interview, which is where things really start to get weird.

At the interview, I met with the head of HR again.  She had a few more questions for me that seemed like pretty standard stuff and she seemed happy with what I had to say (she was really hard to read just based on her voice, which is why I didn't think our first phone interview had been that great).  When we finished up, the marketing manager came in.  Similarly, she had a few more questions, but most of the big stuff had already been covered over the phone.  However, I was able to ask some questions to get a better feel on what was expected of me.  Once she left, I had another interview, this time the accounts manager - finally, someone new.  He asked me the most in-depth questions about my ability as a writer, even showing me a current brochure the company was using and asking me what I would change and why.  Understandably, I spent the most time with him.  Finally, I met with (surprise!) the product manager, who basically just gave me a pep talk about how he believed in me and how he was planning on recommending me for the job.  Well, knowing that I was getting one vote out of four was pretty nice.  In the end, I was interviewing for a little over three-and-a-half hours.

When I was driving home, I felt really good about the interviews.  I certainly had been "on" during the interviews, but it was more than that: it was a prompting from the Spirit.  It wasn't anything as solid as "you got the job" so much as an acknowledgement that I had done well and I hadn't been alone.  Even before recognizing the Spirit, I said a prayer thanking the Lord for doing well.

When I got home, I emailed the accounts manager some writing samples that he asked for.  I used a couple of documents that I had worked on at CAS Severn (and had received permission to use).  He emailed me back that night saying that what I had provided was exactly the kind of style that he wanted to see.  Then he asked for some creative writing samples.  This is literally the first time that has ever happened - good thing I've been writing so much this past year!  I wanted to show off different styles, so I sent him "Eloise and Thaddeus" (which has no dialogue), "Contact" (which is a radio transcript), and "Full Moon" (which is horror-themed).  I was told that I would probably hear back by Monday or Tuesday of this week.

Monday came and I had another interview with another company (the one that I had the webcam interview with).  There was just something off about the whole experience.  The answers that had gone over so well with the Danfoss people didn't really work with these folks.  Maybe all of the phone interviews had prepared me better?  Whatever the reason, I was dissatisfied with the experience.

The rest of the day passed with no contact from Danfoss.  I started worrying that maybe the short stories I had submitted were taken to be offensive - in the satirical "Eloise and Thaddeus," it's mentioned that Eloise is no longer attractive now that she has a tan and in "Contact," one of the characters uses the word "Jap," which is a slur.  I know that I wasn't being racist, but would they?

Finally, yesterday morning, I got a call from the head of HR, offering me the job.  I was super-excited, but I asked for some time to make my decision.  She gave me until Thursday to think about it.  In my excitement, I called or texted a lot of friends and family (if I didn't contact you, I apologize).  Once I was done receiving congratulations, I decided to get to the reason I asked for extra time: prayer.  Even before I could ask the question, I could feel the answer.  This was a good job, a job that I was supposed to have and not just an "in-between" job.  I called back and delivered my acceptance (I also contacted the other company and told them that I should not be considered since I had accepted a job elsewhere).

And while this whole experience is pretty exciting, there is one downside: I don't start until December 1st.  The problem is just preliminary stuff: I have to receive the paperwork in the mail, I have to have a drug test, they have to set up my desk and order my computer, etc.  And about the time all of that is done, it's the week of Thanksgiving.  I understand that the timing for me starting is lousy and why they wanted to push it back, but it still sucks.  Even so, the worry of where I'll be working has been solved and I can look forward to bright future with Danfoss.

And thank you to everyone who has been providing prayers and words of encouragement during this difficult time.  It was wonderful to know that I had people on my side.

No comments: