Friday, September 26, 2014

Fresh Start

I don't have much to report on my job status.  I've been applying to a lot of jobs and I've been hearing back from a lot of them.  I had one interview on Tuesday and I'll have another today.

As I've mentioned to a lot of people already but have yet to write about, this round of unemployment is already much better than the last one.  Last time it was right after Thanksgiving and no one was looking to do any hiring, while the beginning of fall is an natural "fresh start" time of year.  Last time I was still recovering from my seizure when I was let go, while I now have my condition under control.  Last time the longest professional job I had had had lasted five months, while my most recent job was in place for around eight.  Last time I had forgotten to ask permission to take writing samples with me and had to use writing samples from my college days, while this time I got permission to take a couple of samples with me to show off my skills.  Last time it took several weeks before I heard back from anyone, while this time I got calls the day after I updated my profile on several job sites.

Another thing that I've been feeling this time is that this next job will be a better fit.  When I prayed about taking the job at CAS Severn, the answer didn't come easily and it basically amounted to "Well, what else are you going to do?"  I only had the one job offer so it would have been foolish to not take it.  The answer I received, along with the experience I had there, lead me to believe that working for CAS Severn was a sort of "in between" job.  I see now that it wasn't a very good fit for me, but it did help to pad out my resume and I did learn a lot while there.  That said, I think that the next job that I'll take will be a much better fit and will be "the one," at least for now.

Of course, take everything I've written here with a grain of salt because, as previously stated, I don't have any offers yet.  Hopefully, that won't last long.

No comments: