Tuesday, September 23, 2014

The Case of the Mysteriously Overheating Car

Last week I posted about my car not being operational.  Initially, it looked like I would be stuck with a busted car and there was little I could do, but after asking the right people the right questions, things looked a bit more optimistic.

After calling around to three different mechanics that were recommended to me, I went with one that refused to give me an estimate until they could look at the car.  Not only did it feel like the most honest answer, they also described the diagnostic test they would use to determine if the problem was indeed a bad head gasket, which helped me to feel like they knew what they were talking about.  After a bit of a delay, I was able to schedule a tow to get my car to the chosen mechanic.

I was nervous but cautiously optimistic.  I was expecting a call yesterday afternoon, but it never came.  I decided to call to get an update.  The response I got was shocking: the problem was very likely caused by a faulty radiator cap.  Apparently, the first mechanic that looked at it opened the radiator and saw a milky-white fluid and assumed that it was caused by the motor oil and the coolant mixing and refused to do anything else.  The current mechanic did some diagnostic work and found that the busted radiator cap, along with the coolant being old, prevented the engine from having the right kind of pressure building up and it changed the color and consistency of the fluid.  After flushing the system and replacing the fluid and the radiator cap, the mechanic drove the car around to see if it would overheat: it didn't.  To be safe, he wanted to let it sit overnight before he drives it again this morning.  He told me that he's 95% percent certain that the problem is fixed, but he didn't want to call me until he was 100% sure.  I'm glad I chose this guy.  Seriously, if you're in the Baltimore area and need car work done, consider the Charing Cross Car Care Center, and not just for their sweet alliterative name.

This experience was a great example of how having the right friends can deter a disaster, or in this case, solve a mystery.

No comments: