Monday, September 15, 2014

Car Troubles

My car overheated Saturday evening.  Since it was too late to get my car looked at that night, I took my car to get serviced the next morning.  I think that my only means of transportation having problems counts as having my "ox in the mire."  However, since most places are closed on Sundays, I didn't have a lot of options.  I ended up going to a nearby Goodyear, which I admit wouldn't be my first choice.  After over an hour of waiting, I was told that there was a leak somewhere in the engine block and that the coolant and oil are mixing together.  The technician I talked to suggested that I should just look into getting a new car.  I thanked him and left without being charged.

At church, I pulled aside Mark and explained my problem, since he's good with cars.  He said that the problem sounded like a blown head gasket, which is a thirty dollar part, but it usually hidden deep within the engine and it can be costly to replace.  However, depending on the layout of my car's engine, it may be still be worth doing.

After church, Mark came and looked at my car's engine, along with another member, Megan, who's also good with cars.  They both agreed that the gasket should be pretty easy to get to and, based on my description of how it drove after it initially over-heated, it appears to be a new problem, so the rest of the motor should be okay.  Megan recommended a mechanic to take my car to, Mark offered to help tow it when it came time, and they both said that I should not drive the car again until I can get it serviced.  I left the car at church and got a ride home.  I also made arrangements to get a ride to work today.

This is still not a great situation, but it's better than I initially anticipated.  It looks very likely that the problem is fixable and that I'll still be able to get some miles out of this car.  Let's pray it works out.