Monday, September 1, 2014

Labor Day

Well, this post is late.  I've been recovering from work pretty much all weekend.  Let me explain.

On Thursday, I realized that I wasn't going to make a deadline for the document that I was working on and I couldn't ask for an extension since the deadline was set by the client, so the document had to be delivered by the end of the day on Friday. I simply had to put in more time on the document, so I didn't go home Thursday.  I did take a break to get food for dinner, but otherwise, I worked straight through the night.  Around 2:30 am, my body started shutting down, so I partially dismantled an office chair (which I reassembled in the morning) and used it as a pillow as I laid on the floor for a nap.  I slept for about four hours, which is pretty considering the circumstances.  I left to get breakfast and went right back to work.  All told, I was at work for about 32 hours straight.

Was it worth it?  I think so, but I won't know until tomorrow when I'm back in the office.  I still delivered an incomplete document, but it was much closer than it would have been had I not stayed.  I was only about another 4 hours away from finishing it, which, while frustrating, is still pretty good all things considered.

Once I finally got home and ate dinner Friday evening, I was wired and couldn't fall asleep until after 1:30 in the morning, but once I was out, I didn't wake up until nearly noon the next day.

Hopefully, my efforts will be noticed and I won't have to pull crazy stunts like this again.

No comments: