Friday, November 21, 2014

"How May I Direct Your Call?"

I got another temp job.  This one is just for a day-and-a-half, but it's something.

I was called late in the morning yesterday by the temp agency to find out if I was interested in working as a receptionist.  I, of course, jumped at the chance to work some more, so I was at work just before noon.  Today it will be more of the same, but I'll be there the whole day.

The client company this time is a real estate firm, so I'm surrounded by salespeople.  Sales and I don't get along well, so while I'm there, I feel a little out of place.  Plus, this is a really hard core firm because they charge each employee for the brochures that they send out, each sign that they place on a property, even each page that they print.  It's kind of ridiculous.  Then again, the service that I provide for companies is to write, which often means reviewing, sometimes on physical paper.  That's like charging an old fashioned accountant for the pencils he uses.  It's just a part of the job, people.

Anyway, in between answering the phone, I spent my time scanning documents into the network for digital storage.  By the end of the day, the portable phone I had kept on me when I was away from the desk had a low battery, so I just had to sit at the desk.  I decided to spend my time productively, so I wrote something.  It'll be posted tomorrow if anyone's interested.

It does feel good to be working again, even if it's just for a day-and-a-half.

No comments: