Monday, November 18, 2013

Slowly Improving

I ended up working a half-day on Friday.  Well, I was in the office for about four hours, but I spent nearly half of that asking question and finding out more of the story.  From what I've pieced together, my cubicle neighbor, Mary Beth, heard me make a long, drawn-out yawning noise.  She looked over at me and I was slumped over my desk.  She tried to get my attention, but I was unresponsive.  She got the other people in the department involved and it was discovered that I had turned pale, my eyes were rolled back, I was foaming at the mouth, and I was shaking a little.

When it was clear that something was wrong, the ambulance was called.  It took about twenty minutes for the emergency workers to arrive.  During the interim, I made several attempts to stand up, but my coworkers kept pushing me to sit back down, eventually getting me to lay on the ground.  I also halfheartedly threw a punch and the department head at one point.  When the paramedics arrived, they thought that my state was due to low blood-sugar, so their focus was on making me consume sugary food (they took my blood-sugar and it was 80 and according to Margot and my hypoglycemic supervisor, Holly, that's low, but not seizure-inducing low).  In addition to the candy, I drank an entire can of Coke.  Around this time, even though I was still unresponsive, I tied my shoe.

I slowly started waking up, like coming out of a drug-induced sleep, like for surgery.  I remember the paramedics and my coworkers were gathered around me.  Other than the strange fog my head was going through, my shoulders felt really sore.  When I started making eye-contact, one of the paramedics asked me my name and if I knew where I was.  When I answered, I was given more food to eat (a string cheese and a granola bar) and the emergency workers packed up and left.  From the time that Mary Beth first noticed me slumped over to the time that the paramedic left was about forty to forty-five minutes.

It was decided that I should go home, so I was given a ride while an HR rep drove behind in my car.
For the next two day, I could barely move.  Even now my shoulders are still really sore.  I saw my doctor on Friday, the soonest I could get in.  My doc was surprised that the paramedics didn't take me to the ER, but it sounds like they were fixated on the blood-sugar thing, so they probably didn't think it was a seizure.  According to the doc, it sounds like epilepsy, but he wants me to see a neurologist to be sure.  The appointment's made, but it's a couple of weeks out.  Hopefully there will be a cancellation and I'll get bumped up.

No comments: