Friday, November 29, 2013

A Lone Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving was spent with a family from the Ward, the Simciks.  I have been over to their house several times to help the head of the household, Mark, winterize their pool, so I know the family well.  That made joining them for dinner an easy decision.

They also put me to work.  Since their oven isn't working, they roasted their turkey in a charcoal grill outside.  I helped prep the briquettes and helped to add more every 45 minutes to keep the heat up (the bird turned out very well, but I think that has a lot to do with it being brined ahead of time).  Also, the Simciks follow a mathematical formula when preparing for Thanksgiving dinner: n+1=π.  In this case, n equals the number of guests expected for dinner and π equals the number of pies baked.  Yes, they had one more pie than people at the table (while I enjoyed the pumpkin, apple and mince pies, my favorite was the chocolate pecan).

Also, this was the first time that I ever made Jordan's Jell-O Salad (you'd think since it bares by name that I would have attempted it at least once).  I was really pleased to have on my plate and everyone else said that they also enjoyed it.

All in all, even though I didn't spend the day with my family, it was an enjoyable Thanksgiving.

No comments: