Monday, November 4, 2013

Pumpkin Day

On Friday, my department had a "Pumpkin Day" where everyone brought in a different pumpkin flavored food dish.  Based on what other people had signed up for, I decided to make pumpkin pretzels (I would add a link to the recipe that I used, but I can't seem to find it now).

For those who haven't made pretzels before, they are pretty labor intensive.  Once the dough is mixed up, it has to be kneaded, and allowed to rise, all before it can be broken down, rolled out, and shaped; then it still has to be boiled in a baking soda "bath" for a couple of minutes and finally baked.  There are a lot of steps to take before you have pretzels.

Anyway, I took all ten (along with some maple buttercream frosting) to the office for the festivities.  However, I brought six home (and I ate one!).  It wasn't because the pretzels weren't any good, but rather there was simply too much to eat.  There were pumpkin bagels (with pumpkin cream cheese), pumpkin muffins, pumpkin coffee, pumpkin cake, pumpkin potatoes, pumpkin chili (my favorite), pumpkin curry (Indian-style), pumpkin risotto, pumpkin donuts, pumpkin cornbread, pumpkin butter, and even pumpkin pie.  We all ate ourselves silly (I didn't eat dinner when I got home).  With that in mind, the fact that we ate as many of my pretzels as we did, is actually quite impressive.

I later gave the leftovers to Ian, who shared them with a few of his coworkers.  They apparently liked them quite a bit, but there were more positive comments about the frosting.  The frosting has a more distinct flavor, so that may be why.

Overall, it was a fun experience, though I'll probably go with something easier next time.

No comments: