Friday, August 1, 2014

Calling for Samuel

We had a visitor in our home Wednesday night as a member of the Bishopbric arrived and asked to speak to Samuel.  I headed for my room to give them some privacy, but I was invited to stay.  As we all sat in the living room, Brother Wood extended a new calling to Samuel, which he accepted.  He will be the new Class President for the Gospel Essentials class.  Brother Wood asked me to explain what that would entail, I think because I'm a Sunday School teacher and I interact with our Class President on a regular basis.  Samuel was very excited at the idea of having responsibilities at church.

After Brother Wood left, I told Samuel that having a calling has kept me going to Church when I might have otherwise not gone.  When I was unemployed and depressed, I know that if I didn't have a calling to fulfill, I would have stayed at home multiple times.  He agreed that having a calling would be good.

I believe that this is Samuel's first calling in the Church.  He was baptized while he was living Mexico, but his Spanish is shaky, so I doubt that he had a calling there.  Regardless if this is his first calling or not, it's great to see him grow in the gospel and readily accept his calling with pride.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

Congratulations to Samuel!
=0)