Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Paying the Costs of Being the "Fun Uncle"

I'm not quite ready to post about the mini family reunion from last weekend, so for now, let's talk about my recovery from it.

We met at a park halfway between our general locations.  All of my nieces and nephews seemed to like having a chance to run around and play with their cousins.  One of the ways that I interacted with the kids was to give nearly all of them got a ride on my shoulders.  I did some running around and jumping with children of various sizes on my shoulders, with more than one screaming in my ear with excitement.  It was fun, but I was wearing out after a while.

That night, I was tired.  I came home to Samuel getting a lesson in computer programming from one of our home teachers - which was genuinely surprising - and I went straight to bed.  I got a full-night sleep, easily falling asleep after a tiring day.

The next day, I was exhausted.  As in, I wasn't sure if I could teach my Sunday School lesson that day, that's how tired I was.  I decided that an exhausted-but-prepared teacher was better than an energetic-but-unprepared one and struggled through my lesson (I lost my train of thought multiple times and even broke out into a laughing fit after I made a mistake), as well as the rest of church.

After my lesson, I sent Margot and Ian a text explaining my predicament as a way to applaud their efforts as parents.  The both appreciated the sentiment in their own way.

I know that what happened on Saturday was only a small glimpse at parenthood, but it was one full of fatigue.  Good job, sis and bro.

No comments: