Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Laughable

The other night, I received a call from an OSU student who was calling to make sure that my contact information was up to date.  After I confirmed my address and phone number, she asked if I had a few minutes to answer some survey questions directed to alumni.  I obliged, though I'm not a member of the Alumni Association, so technically I'm simply an OSU graduate.

Most of the questions were about my experience at the University, including why I chose it over other schools (when I said that I was originally from California, I could tell that the student worker was impressed, as if geographical location can make someone cooler).  I decided to be completely honest with the survey questions, saying that I felt that I received a good education but that OSU had several administrative policies that I disagreed with.  My answers were noted and we moved on the point of the call: donations.

I was expecting something like this, though the administrators were being particularly bold by asking for $250.  When she mentioned the amount, I excused myself, pulled the phone away and held it at arm's length, and laughed loud enough that my neighbors two floors below probably heard me.  I apologized for the interruption and explained that as long as I still have student loans to pay, I have no intention of making donations to my Alma mater - I did manage to refrain from expressing my opinion that the money would probably just go to the football coach's salary.

I feel a little bad that I acted like such an acute jack-ass to the young woman who was simply doing her job and supporting her school.  I have tried to root out those kinds of outbursts but I guess my cynical side comes out when my former over-priced college tries to bleed even more money out of me.  Perhaps this was still a success when it comes to behaving nicely: I didn't express anger at the donation request, I literally laughed it off.  Maybe by the next call I'll be more civilized and be able to get through the call without vigorously guffawing.  Maybe.

No comments: