Monday, August 5, 2013

Faith Sufficient

One of the days that I like to go running is Saturday.  This last Saturday, however, it was raining and I thought that I wouldn't be able to go.  Worse things have happened, of course, but since I had already missed my run on Thursday, I really didn't want to miss another run that week.

A thought occurred to me.  The Savior taught:

"And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you" (Matthew 17:20)

If it only takes a grain of mustard seed to move mountains, how much faith is needed to stop the rain?  I prayed and explained how important this run was for me (I needed to take out the trash in my head), and asked Heavenly Father that he would grant unto me faith sufficient to stop the rain.  At the time that I prayed, I had about three hours before the time that I usually run, so in addition to exercising my faith, I also got to exercise being patient.

Of course, after only about an hour, the rain lighted up significantly and it even completely stopped by the time I was ready to go running.  The ground was still wet, there were some puddles that I had to avoid, and I even got sprinkled on a few times, but it was dry enough for my purposes.

While this experience didn't change my thoughts or feelings in a significant way, it did help to strength my faith and appreciation in God.  I hope it can do the same you.

No comments: