Monday, August 12, 2013

Working 5 to 9

With all of the medical bills that I've accumulated recently, money has been very tight.  In an attempt to alleviate this, I now have a second job.  After work on Fridays and all day on Saturdays, I will be a server at Mamma Lucia, located not too far from my regular job at RJM.  I had my first shift this last Saturday, but because I'm training right now, I haven't actually waited any tables yet, but that should be coming soon.

I found the job posting on Craigslist and when the manager called me to set up an interview, he expressed how much he liked my resume, not just my serving experience, but also how it was designed and laid out (it better look good, I went to school for it!).  At the interview on Thursday, the good impression he had of me continued and Saturday afternoon I got a call asking for me to start that evening.

The restaurant is higher-end than I've worked at before and the food is more expensive, so I'm hoping that means that there will be good tips.  The waiting staff is really young, like high school-aged young; that will be weird.

The manager has already expressed that he's happy he hired me and it's clear that I have high expectations to live up to.  One reason for this (in addition to my prior work experience) is that the manager has an aunt that's a member of the Church and knows that I'm one, too.  While we were going over the employee handbook, he kept saying, "I'm sure we won't have to worry about you" when talking about theft or sexual harassment.  It's wonderful that I have a good reputation already based on my faith.

Now I just have to figure out when I'll sleep.

No comments: