Monday, April 29, 2013

Is the Suspense Killing You?

So what did I decide?  Well, as I was continuing to pray about whether or not I should accept the job, I had a phone interview for a different company, this one a consulting firm.  I thought it might help to lend some clarity on the issue.  Ian suggested that I tell the interviewer that I already had an offer to urge them to make me one as well.  I decided to do this, but only after the interview was done so that the person on the other side of the phone could first see what I had to offer.  If they knew I had an offer somewhere else, they may not want to even conduct the interview.

Anyway, when I told the interviewer that I had an offer, she asked which company had made the offer.  When I told her that it was RJM, she told me that not only had she heard of them but that she had heard very positive things.  Then she said that in her twenty years working as a recruiter, she's enjoyed working for engineering firms more than IT or consulting firms.  She told me that she thought that I should take the offer from RJM, but she also asked for my contact information on LinkedIn so that she could stay in contact with me and find out how I actually like working for the firm.  Crap-in-a-hat, that's a good endorsement!

I walked back to my cubicle with a huge grin on my face and, after offering a final prayer, emailed my contact at RJM to accept the job offer (and I got a confirmation of my acceptance from her yesterday).  As much as I wish I had gotten an answer to my prayer right away, I can see why waiting was beneficial: I got a strong endorsement for the company; I got a chance to think about working elsewhere, even if I never got a second offer; and I had to wait for the answer instead of getting instant gratification, thus making the answer all the more meaningful (and I knew it wasn't from me because I wanted to accept from the beginning).  I really like the idea of working at an engineering firm and that we, as a company, will improve the world in which we live.

Needless to say, I'm super excited - not just to work as a technical writer, but to work as a technical writer for RJM Engineering.  I've worked hard to get to this point and now a whole new kind of hard work begins.  Here's to the future!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Win!

Grandma Bonnie said...

I am so happy for you. I love you and always pray for the best for you.

Crystal said...

Yippee!
=)

Marc R. said...

Out of the mouth of two or more witnesses...