Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Local Style

As I was driving to my temp job the other morning, I saw a sign for a business that I hadn't seen before.  According to the sign, this particular business specializes in yacht insurance.  That struck me with some impact.  Yachts and their particular form of insurance is so far removed from my life and experience that I didn't know what to think of it.  I remember thinking, That is something that I am unable to relate to.  That really shouldn't be surprising (that I can't relate to it), but yachts are not apart of my life to the point that I had never even thought about them having owners or needing insurance.

Since then, I've noticed that there are a lot of sailing themed businesses and shopping centers.  For example, I saw a bank yesterday that the building was designed to look like a sailboat: it had a three large, completely useless triangles coming out of the roof in such a way that they looked like sails.  Apparently, people in Annapolis like sailing and boating (which includes yachting).

This is not so different from other places I've lived.  In Stillwater there were a lot of cowboy themed businesses (Cowboy Laundry comes to mind) and in So Cal there were a lot of surfing themed businesses (Longboarder Cafe, anyone?), so having lots of sailing themed places is just the style here.

Interestingly, just like seeing cowboy stuff everywhere did nothing to increase my school spirit, seeing sailboating stuff all over the place does not suddenly make me want to go sailing.

No comments: