Friday, April 12, 2013

Maryland of Opportunity Indeed

As many of you know (because I texted you), I had my first interview for a real job since I got here and it even happened yesterday, one month to the day since I moved here.  If I was superstitious, I'd be freaking out right now.

I interviewed at RJM Engineering, a small engineering firm that mostly works on public works projects (roads, sewer drainage ponds, etc.).  I interviewed with the Vice President first (like I said, it's a small company) and she seemed to be impressed with how I said I approach new problems (research) and with my willingness to learn a new field.  After her, I interviewed with the head Administrator and she mentioned that liked that I have experience in organizing data and that I don't have to necessarily have to write everything fresh.  Finally, I spoke to the lead Engineer who kept asking me the same question, apparently not aware that I had answered it a couple of times already (I finally just repeated myself and that seemed to be enough).  Throughout, all three women asked me questions about my skills as a writer and what attracted me to technical writing over some other form (for the record, my answers were "top notch" and "I love to help create documents that can be plainly understood," respectively).

Part of the reason that I interviewed with so many people is that the position I interviewed for is brand new and hasn't existed at the company before.  The role of Technical Proposal Writer requires a lot technical writing, yes, but also a lot of marketing (since the proposals are presented to clients to convince them why they should hire RJM) and engineering understanding.  (I thought it was funny that the additional disciplines I'll be using represent the careers of my three brothers-in-law - Jason and Eugene are engineers, though different kinds, and Bryan just finished his MBA in marketing.)  The reason for the new position is that laws have changed recently and RJM can expand their business while still taking advantage of their old tax brakes, and they decided that it was time to bring in someone that had a writing background to replace the role that had usually been filled by administrative personnel, which is great news for me.

Now the bad news: I have to wait two to three weeks (!) before they'll make a decision.  The Vice President met with me at the end again and told me that she's impressed with me and thinks that I would fit the role pretty well, but that she has other candidates to met with before she makes a decision.  I still feel super-pumped about it and I think that it was one of the best interviews I've ever had.

Extra prayers on my behalf would be appreciated.  If I didn't answer all of your questions, ask them in the comments so that everyone can be apart of the discussion.

1 comment:

Marc R. said...

Congratulations and good luck. We will be praying for your success.