Friday, April 8, 2016

Transitional Period

I started my new medication on Monday.  Instead of levetiracetam, I'm switching to oxcarbazepine.  Because of how anti-convulsants work, I have to ease off the old medication while starting the new one.  For this first week, I take the oxcarbazepine every morning and evening while I take only levetiracetam in the evening.  Next week, I'll take oxcarbazepine just as frequently, but I'll take levetiracetam only every other evening.  The week after, the transition will be complete and I'll only be taking oxcarbazepine.

Why the transition?  While I don't know the mechanics behind it, one thing that all anti-convulsants have in common is that if you stop cold turkey, you risk having non-stop seizures (which is why the two seizures I've had since I was diagnosed with epilepsy were when I didn't get my prescription filled in time).  In fact, I made the mistake of taking the levetiracetam in the morning on Wednesday (I've gotten used to taking my medication in the morning and I wasn't thinking and kept up the habit), so I had to go longer without a dose -- while still taking oxcarbazepine regularly. Thursday afternoon at work, I started to have a minor aphasiatic episode.  Thankfully, nothing happened: I just felt it coming on before it dissipated (similar to how migraines are often preceded by halos).  I made sure I took both meds on Thursday evening.

So far, I can't say that I notice a difference.  I haven't had any seizures, but I still feel tired in the afternoon.  As for my depression, I won't be able to say if there's a difference until the weekend.  Hopefully, I'll be more motivated than I have been the last several months.

No comments: