Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Tuesdays with Media: Redwoods

Just like jazz, rock has nearly as many subgenres as bands.  One subgenre that I've gotten into more recently is "instrumental progressive metal," which I swear is a real style.  My favorite band in this category of music is Scale the Summit.  Don't let the "metal" part scare you, as their music actually has more in common with classical music than it does with traditional heavy metal, as illustrated in their single, "Redwoods":

If you want to see the lead guitarist play his part, watch this video.

One thing that I like about Scale the Summit is that all of the band members are not only very skilled musicians, but they play non-traditional instruments: both guitarists play seven-string guitars and the bassist plays a six-string bass -- so even if I develop the required skill to play one of their songs, I still wouldn't have the necessary equipment.  Another thing I like about this particular prog metal band is that they have a theme: nature.  They refer to their style as "adventure metal," with song titles that invoke images of going on an amazing journey or swimming with majestic sea creatures.

While some prog metal bands are too far on the metal side of the spectrum and others are too far on the progressive side, Scale the Summit is usually just right for me.

Thanks for joining me for another March as we explored different instrumental songs that I like.  I think we have a tradition on our hands ...

Scale the Summit's music is distributed by Prosthetic Records.

No comments: