Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Breaking the Fantasy

On a recent episode of Elementary, the case in the episode involved the stealing of a refrigerant that is being discontinued, known throughout the industry as R22.  (All refrigerants are assigned a code starting with "R" for "refrigerant" and a number that does mean something else beyond being random numbers, but I haven't picked up all the details yet.)  Anyway, in the episode in question, R22 was stolen because, according to the show, it's getting harder and harder to come by.

Except that it isn't.  While it's true that R22 is being phased out, it is still used in a lot of systems.  Also, the show said that eventually the fluid would be illegal to use, but that's not true either.  It will be illegal to manufacture, but if you have a system that uses it, you're fine to use what's available.

Why does this matter?  It doesn't really, but I thought it was pretty cool that I noticed some false information in a fictional program.  Often, as audience members, we just take what characters say as factual, especially if they're someone with authority, like Sherlock Holmes, who is authority an on practically everything.  But actually, the writers just googled some information on the matter and put in some details they thought would make the story more interesting.  I'm sure that the vast majority of viewers didn't catch the error, just like I don't catch other errors on other subjects; but I caught this one.

So, I've been at Danfoss for about three and a half months and I already know enough about refrigeration systems to ruin an episode of a crime drama.  Like I said, I think that's pretty cool.

No comments: