Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Tuesdays with Media: Piece of Mind

Remember how I last week's entry was about a song that I said didn't fit the time period it was from.  The opposite is true about today's song.


I don't know about you, but my sideburns feel longer from just listening to that.  It just sounds so much like the seventies.  Seriously, close your eyes and imagine that part of it is used for the opening sequence of some TV show.  This show would have everyone in polyester, at least one person in a jumpsuit, and no fewer than three mustachioed men.  That said, I love this song.

"Piece of Mind" is a song that brings to mind feelings of both peace and excitement.  Perhaps the "piece of mind" that's being shared is good news.  I feel like this is the kind of song that should be playing in the background when I call to tell people that I'm going to be a father -- it's full of hope,  joy, and barely contained enthusiasm.

The song is by jazz legend Idris Muhammad.  When I first heard this song, I was surprised to learn that Mr. Muhammad was a drummer since this song does have times where it focuses on the horns, the sax, and the organ, but there's not a single drum solo.  Maybe he wanted to give his collaborators a chance to shine.

While I can't always see the appeal of a type of music, I really dig the whole album this came from, titled, appropriately enough, Power of Soul.  If you enjoyed this song, I recommend listening to the rest.

No comments: