Monday, March 30, 2015

Birthday 2015

Today is my birthday, but if you're reading this blog, you probably already knew that.

On Saturday, I celebrated by taking Ian to lunch.  That's right, I asked to buy lunch for my brother.  I've been living close to the edge of my ability to cover my expenses for so long that now that I have the means to pay for someone else's meal, I wanted to give it a try.  It wasn't bad; I'll have to do it again some time.

After lunch, we picked up Clara and Henry from their playdate and, after some running around outside with the dog, we went bowling.  I have to admit that it was kind of funny that, even with the bumpers up, Henry and Clara beat both Ian and I (for the record, I got last place).  It was a nice reminder that games, while competitive, are fun because of the people you're with, not because of your final score.

Finally, we had dinner back at their place followed by birthday cake.  Ian had asked me to make my own cake since I'm the baker, but that seemed a bit wrong; instead, I asked my good friend Lori Simcik to bake it for me and she enthusiastically agreed.  It was a delicious German Chocolate cake with old fashioned icing that's much better than the stuff you get from stores or restaurants these days.

Thank you to everyone that has, and surely will, send well wishes my way.  This birthday is during a transitionary time for me, which makes it all the more appropriate: after all, what is a birthday if not a transition from one year to the next?

1 comment:

Grandma Bonnie said...

Happy birthday my sweet Jordie. I can't remember how old you are but I definitely remember the day we got you. The nurse looked at me and said what's wrong grandma. She could see the alarm on my face. I said he's blue. You take your first breath and turned pink. Those precious moments will live in my memory forever. I had been given a precious gift from Heavenly Father and that gift was you.