Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Digital Assessment

Thumbs.  You got to have thumbs, man.  Some people use the fact that we have an opposeable digit as proof that we're not animals.  Seriously, if all you had were thumbs, you could still do alright.  You use them to pick up stuff, hold stuff, put the car into gear, answer the phone, grab onto your belt.  The possibilities are endless!

Index.  After the thumb, this guy right here is the most useful.  You use it point (some people even call it the "pointer finger," like that's all it can do), to press buttons, to finger paint, to click the button on a computer mouse.  If the thumb is Captain Picard, the index finger is Commander Riker.

Middle.  This one's gotten a bad rap because it can be used to perform an obscene gesture, but it's really only offensive if you take it that way -- in a lot of cultures, doing the same thing is meaningless.  For most people, the middle finger is their longest digit, so it works great to interact with a touchscreen, though usually without the other fingers completely curled back.  Also, it's pretty strong on it's own, which can be helpful to hold something and your other fingers are busy.

Pinky.  The littlest digit, yes, but the most refined as well.  You raise this one while drinking from a glass and suddenly you've gained some fancy-points.  Plus, when paired with the thumb and/or index finger and you have the symbols for "hang loose," "rock on," or "I love you."

Ring.  This digit's whole purpose is for wearing jewelry.  Pretty useless, if you ask me.  If I didn't need them to type my own name, I might consider donating them.  I certainly don't need the left one, always reminding me with its uselessness by how bare it always is.  But like I said, I need it for typing, so I'll keep it ... for now.

No comments: