Friday, October 18, 2013

Employed

That's right people, I am now officially an employee for Prometric, a company that provides testing services for things like business certifications or even academic exams.  My title will be Jr. Technical Writer, which just makes me feel really happy inside.  Not only will I be working again, but I'll be doing what I've wanted to do for at least the last five years (specifically technical writing; I've wanted to be a writer for at least the fifteen years) and I'll have a snazzy job title to match.

Now, the job isn't perfect.  It's on the far side of Baltimore, which means that I'll actually have a pretty hefty commute to contend with (though, the building I'll be working in is right by a harbor, so the view from the parking lot is nice).  Also, it's only a contract position.  The way it stands right now, it's a contract that lasts six months to a year, with the possibility of it becoming a permanent position.  Because it's a contract position, I'll be working for an employment agency rather than directly for Prometric.  That means no benefits package.  Hopefully, I've made all of my ER trips for the next good, long while.

Even with all of the failings this job has, it's still pretty awesome.  I am totally looking forward to being employed again as being alive is expensive and I'll need income to continue doing it.  Also, and this is pretty big, my main job will be writing in a professional capacity.  Even if the job only last for six months, that's six more months that I can put down on my resume.

I want to once again thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers on my behalf.  I've had a lot of phone calls with people checking up on me to see how I've been doing.  Starting Monday, I'll be able to say that things are "just fine."  Just the way I like them.

No comments: