Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Cold Run

Last night I went for my usual evening run, but it was very different.

For one, it was already twilight when I started, which meant that it was dark by the time I finished.  This made my run a lot more dangerous than usual, not because of the cars because I'm certain they could see me okay due to the light-colored clothing I was wearing (although I should probably invest in a reflective vest or some other article of clothing to be on the safe side), but rather the danger came from not being able to see properly.  I kept thinking I was going to trip on some unseen thing, which made me nervous and made the run a little less enjoyable.

The other thing that was new was that I was running in the cold.  When I first started running outside in Oklahoma, it was spring, so I didn't have to worry about bundling up.  Then I moved back to So Cal where winters don't exist (which I like just fine), so I didn't have to worry about bundling up.  Now, Maryland doesn't experience the same temperature fluctuations that Oklahoma does, but it still gets all four seasons (a shame, I know).  Anyway, I had to wear a long sleeve shirt and a hat (bandana, but same principle) so that I wouldn't catch cold; I still wore shorts.  The weirdest thing was how little I sweated.  After a run, my shirt is usually soaked through; this time, there were only a couple of patches of wetness.  Running in the crisp, cool air kept my body temperature down so sweating as means of thermoregulation was almost completely unnecessary.

The weather may be changing, but my desire to keep running is not.

No comments: