Monday, June 13, 2016

Welcome to the Digital Age

I've owned a cell phone since I first got home from my mission in mid-2004, though it's always just been a standard cell that can make calls and send texts.  Even when the first iPhone was released in 2007, introducing the world to the idea of carrying around a tiny computer wherever you go, I never upgraded.  At first, I couldn't afford one, and later I thought they were just a trend, but eventually I realized that having a smart phone was not only the standard, but the expectation.  I finally decided to upgrade, but I was trapped in a shared phone plan with Allison (I had agreed to cover her phone bill until the divorce went through) and if I upgraded, it would renew the contract and I be stuck.  With the divorced completed, I was finally free to see what the fuss was all about.

I totally get it.  I bought a Samsung Galaxy S7 and now wherever I go, I have a web browser, an e-reader, a GPS map, a full computer, a really nice digital camera, and, oh yeah, a phone (and more!).  I'm sure I don't know half of what the phone is capable of yet, but it's both a lot of fun and very helpful.  Though, since I changed my number, I'm carrying around two phones with me until the old plan deactivates in three weeks.  Still, I'm glad I've finally joined the rest of the civilized world.

No comments: