Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Siding with the Opposition

We live in a world with shifting views, especially with regards to faith and religion.  I recently heard about a survey that found that people of my generation are the least religious of any previous generation, to the surprise of no one.  With so many people firm in their stance against what I believe, I've mostly gotten used to being in the minority where religious devotion is concerned.  Perhaps that's why I get so annoyed when I have to agree with the opposing side.

As you're probably already aware, Kim Davis, the Rowan, Kentucky County Clerk is refusing to issue marriage licences to same-sex couples.  She cites her religious beliefs as the reason for the refusal, despite being ordered to issue the licences by the Supreme Court.  She says she is more concerned about God's judgement than the opinions of opponents and doesn't want her name and signature on the marriage licences of same-sex couples.  All of that makes sense to me; the part where she loses me is that she refuses to resign.

She is an elected official, put in office by the people of Rowan County, Kentucky to serve them in a specific capacity.  One of her responsibilities is to issue marriage licences, including to same-sex couples.  I find it unfortunate that the Supreme Court is requiring all states to recognize same-sex marriage, but that is the law.  If Ms. Davis doesn't want to issue marriage licences to same-sex couples, then she should quit.

It seems these days that more and more people are confusing what religious freedom and freedom of speech means.  For example, when I worked at IHOP during college, that particular location required all employees to work both Saturday and Sunday.  I asked that I not have to work Sundays due to my religious beliefs and they acquiesced.  If they hadn't, I wouldn't have worked for them.  The first amendment protects our rights from being infringed by the government, not by other parties.  With the case of Ms. Davis, while she does work for the government, she also agreed to perform the duties of her office when she signed up to be a county clerk.  If she doesn't agree with what those duties are, she certainly has a right to protest, but once the judgement is declared, she needs to either grit her teeth and issue marriage licences to the qualifying people within her county or she needs to resign.

One of the reasons this particular case is so frustrating is because so many people who are not religious will see this woman's behavior and label everyone who is religious as "crazy."  We as human beings tend to categorize things, even people, so for the many people out there that don't have any religious friends to serve as a counter-example, Ms. Davis is serving as a symbol of all Christians, making us all look like zealots who are standing in the way of "progress."

Again, I agree with Ms. Davis' beliefs and I understand her dilemma, but if she doesn't like the job for which she signed up, she needs step down.

No comments: