Monday, August 3, 2015

Hardest Working Writers

I attended my new ward's choir practice for the first time yesterday.  The stand-in chorister (the official chorister and pianist are out of town) enthusiastically welcomed me, adding that the choir is "pathetic" -- I think she meant that there aren't enough regularly attending members, since there was no bite to her words.  The song we practiced was on the upper end of my register, which was made even harder since I was fasting and my larynx needed lubricating, but otherwise it wasn't an overly complicated song (for the bass part, at least).

After we finished up, the stand-in pianist said hello to me and welcomed me to the choir and to the ward.  I thanked her and said something positive in return and went and found an empty pew on which to sit.  As it turned out, I happened to sit right in front of her and her family.  This sister, Naomi, asked me a few more questions, like where I had just moved from what brought me to the area.  When I said that I had moved there for work, she asked what I did for a living.  When I told her, she said that "technical writers are the hardest working writers in the world."

Not only did she know what technical writing is (the second Sunday in a row that's happened), but she has a great admiration for it.  I, of course, asked how she knew what tech writing was and she said that she had majored in English and had worked as a high school English teacher for a while.  She then added that "we English majors have to stick together."

To think, I didn't like this ward when I first moved in and now I've met two people that have great respect for what I do.  Amazing what happens when we stop being overly judgmental, isn't it?

No comments: