Thursday, August 27, 2015

Danglish

Since I work for a Danish company, a lot of the documents that I'm asked to edit are written in what the people in my office playfully refer to as "Danglish."  For the most part, Danglish is just poorly written English, though I have notice one characteristic: missing definite articles.

I found it strange that definite articles would be dropped, but indefinite articles would mostly appear in their proper places.  Curious, I looked up Danish grammar on Wikipedia.  Interestingly, indefinite articles are separate words from their nouns, but most definite articles are simply suffixes attached at the end of their noun.  With this in mind, it makes sense that native Danish-speakers would forget to add a definite article when one is warranted, because in Danish, most definite articles don't exist.

With what I learned by reading the crowd-sourced article, I'm actually toying with the idea of convincing my next manager to get Danfoss to pay for Danish lessons for me, so I can better anticipate the mistakes that will be made and, more importantly, be better able to describe to Danish speakers why my edits are necessary.  Plus, it'll make pronouncing tough Danish words easier, or at least less humorous.

No comments: