Wednesday, July 29, 2015

A Fun Challenge

At church on Sunday, I was chatting with a brother when the topic of what I did for a living came up.  I've gotten used to the fact that I usually have to explain to people what technical writing is and what my job actually entails, so I was prepared to do just that.  To my surprise, this brother knew what technical writing was.  Not only that, he mentioned that he took technical writing as a class in college -- so did I and I was one of only two Technical Writing majors in the class.  Anyway, so this brother remembers taking a tech writing class in college and he said that he had fun with it.  He described it as an interesting challenge that was solved using words.

That is literally the first time I can think of that someone who isn't a tech writer or does some kind of tech writing as part of their job has spoken positively about the subject to which I've dedicated my life.  It feels pretty awesome.

I don't expect that I'll have too many experiences in the future where I have someone react so positively to learning about what I do for a living, but I'm happy I got to experience it at least this one time.

No comments: