Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Sleep Well

Something strange has been happening lately: I've been getting enough sleep.

A little over a month ago, my mom recommended that I experiment with delta waves, a type of brain wave that's produced when we sleep, that can be induced by listening to certain new age music.  I scoffed that something so silly would make any significant difference, but I promised to give it a try.  The first night I left my tablet playing, I fell asleep easily.  While it hasn't worked every night, it certainly helps things.

Starting this week, I've gone to bed earlier than usual.  In the past, I've put things off that I needed to do (like making lunch for the next day or writing my blog post), which often made bedtime later than it needed to be.  Don't get me wrong, there were plenty of times that I went to bed early to just lay there for a couple of hours, so I didn't feel like there was a rush.

So, what happens when you combine a reasonable bedtime with delta wave music?  Eight hours of sleep (the nice thing about using the YouTube video I linked to is that I can look how long it's played when my alarm goes off as an estimate of how long I slept; if it finishes playing, I got in a full eight).  I'm sure that my acceptance of my divorce and the great, low-stress job I have are also factors, and who knows if this will last; for now, I'll enjoy not being exhausted.  Mostly.

1 comment:

Marc R. said...

The lesson here is that your mom has a lot of common sense (some of which is pure inspiration.