Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Tuesdays with Media: 2048

Since I mostly watch TV and movies on my computer, I often play a simple puzzle game while I watch.  I like to keep my hands busy and puzzle games won't distract from the story, so it's a good fit.  I used to play FreeCell Solitaire, but a little over a year ago, I discovered 2048, a simple-yet-satisfying puzzle game.

The basic layout is a 4 x 4 grid and you start with two numbered tiles, usually two 2s, which are randomly placed on the board.  To play, you use the arrow keys to move all the tiles the selected direction: hit left, they all slide left; hit up, they all slide up; etc.  When two identical tiles are pushed together, they merge, becoming a tile with the new number being the sum of the two base tiles.  So, you push two 2s together and you get a 4, you push two 4s together and you get an 8, and so on.  The goal of the game is play until you have a tile that reads 2048.

One thing that's interesting about this game is that once you win, you have the option to keep playing.  I've actually made it to 4096 several times, but I can't quite make it to 8192 yet.  But ultimately, the final score doesn't matter because I only play so that my hands have something to do while my eyes and mind are otherwise occupied.

But you want to see it in action, don't you?  Well, take a gander:



I refuse to apologize for all of the time you'll soon be wasting.  Have fun!

2048 was created as a school project by teen programmer Gabriele Cirulli.

No comments: