Monday, April 28, 2014

Second-hand

As you may or may not be aware, every piece of furniture that I own (with the exception of my mattress set) had a previous owner.  Perhaps since I was often the recipient of "hand-me-downs" as a child, doing it as an adult seems natural; or maybe it's just because getting used furniture is better than having no furniture, since that's basically my only other option at this point.

Well, as I was returning home from my run on Saturday, I passed by one of my apartment complex's dumpsters.  Sitting next to it was an end table.  I paused to examine it.  The table was perfectly fine, save for a missing buttress at the base (the table has a single leg that flares out into a cross at the bottom).  The table is made out of solid wood and was remarkably clean.  I decided that it would be a shame to pass it up, so I hefted it onto my shoulder and walked the rest of the way home.

There are opportunities in our lives that are there to bless us, but only if take hold of them.  It may be something as small as a nice new end table or it may be a new job or an opportunity to serve.  While the blessing of a new piece of furniture is not terribly important, it is nice to be reminded that we need to be ready to recognize when we are offered a blessing from the Lord and when we are offered trash.

No comments: