Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Tuesdays with Media: Avatar: The Last Airbender

I grew up watching cartoons, so when I became an adult, I saw no reason to stop.  Back in 2005, a cartoon started it's run on Nickelodeon that I completely ignored.  Avatar: The Last Airbender, while an American cartoon, was heavily influenced by Japanese anime, which I don't generally care for.  Due to the animation style, I ignored it.

Then I learned a little kung fu.  Ian sponsored me as the two of us took lessons in Choy Li Fut style kung fu, which was amazing and I've missed it ever since we stopped.  We both got really into practicing our stances and forms, but the lessons were expensive, so they didn't last long.  This short experience sparked in me a fascination in martial arts that still exists to this day.  Due to my new appreciation for all things kung fu, I paid much closer attention to fight-choreography in movies from that point on.

I forget why I decided to watch an episode of Avatar, but I sat through two back-to-back episodes from the second season, "The Serpent's Pass" and "The Drill."  I was blown away.  I really had almost no idea what was going on story-wise, but it didn't matter because the visuals were amazing.  Yes, it still had a strong anime-style animation, but the fight-choreography was fantastic.

For those who don't know, the universe that Avatar takes place in has people that are born with the ability to "bend" or telekinetically control one of the four elements.  So there are airbenders, waterbenders, earthbenders, and firebenders.  What was so great about this show, however, was that benders used their powers by doing martial arts.  To add to the cool factor, each type of bending was modeled after a different style of martial arts.  Airbenders use Baguazhang, which emphasizes avoiding your opponent; waterbenders use Tai Chi, which emphasizes fluid movements; earthbenders use Hung Ga kung fu, which emphasizes strong stances; and firebenders use Northern Shaolin kung fu, which emphasizes strong attacks.  Only the Avatar can control all four elements, which is why he or she is so important.

This show's production team really took time to animate each movement properly.  The movements may have led to making rocks fly, but it was such a unique approach that I had to see more.  I sought out the first season and watch through.  Not only were the visuals great, but the episodes also had some really great character development and world building.  I think by the time season three started, I had seen the first two seasons twice each.  I also got Paige and Isaac involved and we would often talk about different themes and choices that characters made as new episodes came out.

The series ended back in 2008, but in 2012 the sequel series, The Legend of Korra, began.  Paige, Issac, and I still often discuss each episode after it's aired.  While Korra is a great show, I still prefer the original.  It may have been a show for kids, but it treats it's audience with enough respect that people of all ages can enjoy it.  I recommend it for anyone who likes good-storytelling with cool action in a family-friendly setting.

Avatar: The Last Airbender was produced by Nickelodeon Animation Studio

No comments: