Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Tuesdays with Media: No One Knows

Have you ever heard a song that felt like it always existed?  Maybe a hymn or a piece of classical music, but what about more popular music?  By the time I was born, the Beatles had already put out all of their music, so even when I discovered something new, I knew that it had been around for decades.  Sometimes, however, a new piece of music comes around that feels like its been around for longer.  Not that it's old fashioned so much as that you can't imagine the world without that song.  That's how I feel about the Queen's of the Stone Age's biggest hit, "No One Knows."


What a strange mash-up of styles that ends up working perfectly.  It's definitely got a Rockabilly rhythm to it, but the song is clearly metal.  Even though I'm a fan of the band's other work, I can totally see why this is their highest-charting single (number 1 on the Modern Rock Charts).

The album this song comes from, Song for the Deaf, was released only a few months after I went on my mission, so I didn't hear it until I had returned home.  However, there was never a point where I remember hearing it for the first time.  It was sort of like, "Oh yeah, this song is cool."  It's interesting that a song that I think of as being so unique, I can't remember the first time I heard it.  But that's what's so interesting to me.  It's as if the song has always existed, even though it's only about a dozen years old.  I can't remember the first time I heard "Eight Days a Week" and I can't remember the first time I heard "No One Knows" because, to me, they've never not been around.

Songs for the Deaf is distributed by Interscope Records.

No comments: