Wednesday, May 15, 2013

More Than Just a Writer

So, I'm officially a professional writer.  How have my first couple of days been?  Filled with a lot of stuff that isn't writing.  The reason for that is because RJM has never had a full-time writer working for them, they aren't sure how to train me to do my job.  The VP, who is not my direct supervisor but has taken an active interest in my introduction to the company, gave me a bunch of files to read in order to get me up to speed on what the company does.  When she checked on me yesterday, I pointed out some inconsistencies and minor errors on the company's website and she was pleased that I caught them so quickly.

One thing that I wasn't quite expecting is that I'm a part of the Marketing Department.  I shouldn't be surprised since my title is Technical Proposal Writer, but it still was a surprise.  What this means is that in addition to putting together proposals for potential clients, I'll also have additional responsibilities.  One of these is attending publicly advertised pitch meetings and ... well, I'm not sure what.  I'll be going with my boss, the head of Marketing, to my first meeting on Thursday.  I've already been assured that I'm not expected to do anything this time other than introduce myself, but I'm sure that also means that eventually I'll be attending these meeting alone.

I'm looking forward to when I get to do some actual writing-related work, but I'll do whatever work I'm given.

No comments: