Friday, May 24, 2013

House Hunting

The search for an apartment to call my own has been an annoying one.  As you may recall, I was very close to applying to one complex when I found out about past bed bug infestations.  Since then, I have viewed several other apartments, hoping to find one that would work.  But what constitutes working?  I don't think I was really clear on that at the beginning.  For example, how much are you willing to pay to have an easy commute to and from work?  How much for a washer and dryer in the unit?  How much for a nice neighborhood?  Would you pay 30% of your monthly income?  What about 50%?

I had to think a lot about what I really wanted out of my home and what I was willing to pay to get it.  Amanda reminded me that "you get what you pay for" is popular idiom because it often applies.  If I had taken that first place I found, it would have been pretty cheap, but that doesn't mean it's a bargain.  So, I've extended what I'm willing to pay (around 50% when counting utilities) after having decided that I want an easy drive (within 20 miles of my work), a washer and dryer in the unit, and at least a 51% score on ApartmentRatings.com.  These are the things I've decided that I am willing to pay for.

However, the downside to knowing what I want is that it's a lot harder to find.  I think I've got some really great candidates to look at tomorrow, but who knows if any of them will actually pan out.  I do feel like I'm getting closer and that the Spirit of the Lord is guiding to something will be for the best.  I just hope that I'm attuned enough to follow.

No comments: