Thursday, July 28, 2011

Music

So, now that I have a favorite band, that means that my musical journey is over, right? Well, that's the complicated thing about personal development: it never seems to stop. When I decided that Beck was my favorite musician, it helped me define something about myself that I felt needed to be defined. But now, I'm less certain that I need that definition.

As I've gotten older, I've tried to explore other kinds of music. (Did you know that jazz can be very cool? I kind of did, but I never had jazz on my playlist prior to this year.) Through that exploration, I've discovered that sometimes the song I want to listen to is heavy or light or somber or happy or fast or slow and that if I keep going to Beck for all of those moods, I'll be limiting myself.

I still think Beck is my favorite musician, but I don't think it's as important to have a favorite band as it was when I was younger. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I'm married and nearly done with school and I feel like I know who I am and where I am going more than I have in the past. Maybe I was a bit lost in other areas, so having a favorite band was necessary to make up for that. Maybe not. Whatever the reason, I've progressed past that and now I don't feel the need to have a favorite.

And that's quite liberating.

No comments: