Friday, July 22, 2011

Music (The Distance)

When I realized that I was no longer into the heavy stuff that I had defined myself with, I went searching for something that new that fit. I got some guidance from Ian (again), but also I really listened to the alternative rock station for something I could connect with. Cake's "The Distance" seemed like a nice place to start.



It has emotion, it has an almost spoken quality, it has trumpets, and it has distorted guitars. This is easily the heaviest song by Cake, but its one of many songs about cars, for whatever reason. I liked the honesty of the band, singing about relationships and real life stuff, not disconnected lyrics about war or destruction (like Metallica), plus they have a unique sound that isn't found with other bands. (Plus, Cake is the only band that has been brought up in Sunday School with their song "Sheep Go to Heaven.")

Even though I liked Cake, I don't think I ever really considered them to be my new favorite band. I liked them, but they didn't quite fit. The search continued.

No comments: