Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Music (Loser)

And that brings us to Beck.



This is Beck's first big hit, "Loser." The song, like the musician, is a bit strange. The verses are rapped, the chorus is a combination of English and Spanish, the lyrics are fairly nonsensical, and it employs the use a zither. It's like nothing else.

The funny thing about "Loser" is that it's a hit from the early 90s and I'd heard it many times before I discovered it. I remember Ian and I were seeing who could learn the words to this song first (why we chose this song, I don't know) and I got both verses down in a couple of days. It turns out that I liked the song.

Then I started checking out other songs by Beck. I liked how he didn't follow the same patterns that other artists did. There were certainly elements that appeared in his songs that were recognizable, but he changed it up with the sounds that he produced. I also liked that the emotion of the song was clear, even if the lyrics were incredibly esoteric.

(Plus I think it's cool that he has a guy in his band who just seems to dance.)

There was something that I really liked about this music and I listened to it more and more.

No comments: