Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Music (For Whom the Bell Tolls)

After I got involved in comic books, I was really angry. If you ever want to meet someone who's expectations are unrealistic, while still being super opinionated, pompous, and "knowledgeable," talk to a fanboy. Anyway, because I was an angry teen, Metallica seemed a logical choice, but I really didn't like them until I heard this song:



It really was the introduction that did it for me. I couldn't believe that a song could be this heavy and have that complex an intro at the same time. "For Whom the Bell Tolls" was fast, heavy, dark, melodious, and (most importantly) angry.

I went on to collect all of the band's albums (surprisingly, even though Ride the Lightning meant so much to me, I bought Master of Puppets first) and I didn't care about any band that wasn't Metallica. I'm sure I was a pain to be around. But Metcallica was important because it was the first time I had a favorite band. Before this, I had bands I liked but not a favorite. When I was on my mission, one of the first things that came up when I got a new companion was who our favorite bands were. By having a favorite band, it helped give me a sense of identity, not just musically either.

But being angry for so long wasn't healthy. When I got back from my mission, I found myself listening to the comparatively lighter Load and Reload albums. I held on to Metallica as my favorite band for a long time, even though it was obvious that I wasn't listening to them very much any more. It was important to me to have a favorite band and without one, even one that didn't quite fit, I felt like I had lost a part of myself.

No comments: