Saturday, May 6, 2017

Nacho Man

For yesterday's celebration of Cinco de Mayo, I made one of the least authentic Mexican foods available: nachos.

It all started when I was still at work and realized what day it was. I texted Leah and said that, in celebration of the holiday, she should let me come by her work that evening and make her and her coworker nachos. At first she declined, but the more she thought about it, the more enticing it sounded. When she got to work, she asked her coworker (who is also the lead of their location) about my proposal. The response she received was "Is that even a question?" With everyone on board, we made plans for nachos!

After work I made a quick stop at the grocery store before going home and eating dinner -- dinner was a mistake since I knew I would be eat nachos later, but at the time I was hungry, so it made sense. I turned on what is quickly becoming my favorite kitchen gadget, my deep fryer, and started slicing tortillas. That's right, dear reader: I made homemade corn chips. I wasn't sure how many to make, so I asked Leah. She said make all of them. I cut 26 corn tortillas into 6 triangles, making a total of 156 chips. Split amongst three people, that proved to be exactly twice as many chips as were needed (not that that stopped me from eating my fair share). With my freshly made chips in tow, I drove the thirty minutes to the group home where Leah works.

When I got out of my car, Leah was waiting for me next to the garage, dancing enthusiastically as she sang "Nacho, nacho man!" to the tune of "Macho Man." Once inside, I discovered that while I brought the chips, cheese, and beef (for taco meat), I had forgotten a creamy chipotle sauce that I had made before working on the chips. I was quite annoyed with myself, spending time to make a condiment, only to forget it, but nothing could be done, so I moved on. I browned and seasoned the taco meat and then we assembled our glorious snack.

Leah was able to contain her excitement long enough to take a picture (unlike me)

As we sat down in the living room to enjoy our Mexican-inspired American food, Leah looked at me and said, "You're the best fiance. I can't wait to upgrade you to a husband."

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how I spent one of the best Cinco de Mayos I can remember.

No comments: