Monday, May 18, 2015

"[They'll] Go Inside Someday..."

On Saturday, my ward hosted a viewing of the documentary Meet the Mormons at the Washington, DC Temple Visitor's Center.  I had already decided that I wasn't interested, but I suggested to Ian that we take his kids to see it since it would be good for them to be so close to the temple.  He agreed and we made plans to attend.

When we got there, we had some time before the movie started, so we walked around with the kids, showing them the various displays in the Visitor's Center, including a replica of the Christus and a detailed model of the temple that includes a "cut-away" section to show the interior.

Click to enlarge

Both kids were disappointed when we told them that they had to wait until they were 12 before they could go inside, but they also said how they looked forward to being old enough to enter someday.  Clara especially seemed captivated by the idea of temple attendance.

The movie itself was better than I thought it would be, though I must admit I wasn't expecting a lot.  Henry was too wiggly and Ian decided to take him out for the last ten minutes to walk around the temple grounds, but Clara wanted to stay and finish it.  The last segment was focused on a family preparing for their oldest boy to serve a mission, so I whispered to Clara about all of the people in her family that have served missions (I left out relatives or ancestors that she hasn't met) and by the time it was over, she was talking about how she wants to serve.  I realize that kids get excited about all sorts of stuff -- I wanted to be an astronomer for most of my childhood and I would probably have scoffed at the idea of being a writer -- but being introduced to the idea of missionary service at an early age is important for every kid.  When we rejoined Ian and Henry, we joined my ward for lunch (that they provided) and walked the temple grounds one last time with Clara.

Usually when I go to the temple, I go alone to receive revelation on a matter of person significance.  In fact, before Saturday, I had never before gone inside the Visitor's Center.  And even though I was motivated to expose my niece and nephew to information about the temple, I certainly received something person from the experience as well.

No comments: