Friday, May 22, 2015

"People in California be like ..."

I found out recently that a family in my ward is being required to relocate due to work.  As it happens, they're moving to San Diego.  Knowing that I claim that area as the land of my nativity, the family patriarch asked me a few questions about what to expect.  I had lots of positive things to say about the culture, food, weather, environment, and so on.  However, I also warned him about the traffic.  I told him that "drivers are aggressive to the point that it'll probably feel like everyone is trying to murder you with their vehicles."

The thing about drivers out here is that thy don't pay attention.  I see multiple close calls everyday on the freeway, usually involving someone trying to change lanes without checking their blindspot or just drifting into an adjacent lane unintentionally.  As I told the brother, "People here don't pay attention to what's going on around them, whereas So Cal drivers are aware of you and hate you for existing."

Yes, I was being hyperbolic, but there's a reason the term "road rage" originated in California, so there was still plenty of truth in what I said.  Luckily, the brother has a good sense of humor and was happy to hear about all of the positive things I had to say.

No comments: