Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Light Problems

As I was driving home yesterday evening, I noticed that the driver's side headlight was out.  I only just bought this car and I'm already dealing with issues related to it's various parts breaking down.  This time, however, I could fix it myself.

Probably.  I don't remember replacing a headlamp bulb before, but how hard could it be?

Since there's a Pep Boys that I pass on my way home, I stopped by to get a replacement bulb.  The kid that helped me find the right kind of bulb for my car tried upselling a companion product with it, but he didn't do a very good job -- I don't mean that he failed because I felt that I could get by with just the bulb; I mean he failed because I felt that I was better off with just the bulb.

Once outside, I popped the hood and started feeling around.  With out too much trouble, I figured out how to remove the burnt out bulb, though I did scrap too close to something and gave myself a very shallow, very minor scratch.  Getting the new bulb in took some finessing, but I eventually figured it out.  Before I dropped the hood, I tested to make sure it work (it did!), and was on my way home.

Once I made it to my apartment, I wondered if I had remembered to replace the cover to the bulb housing.  It would probably be fine without it, but it may not stand up against the elements as well.  I popped the hood again to investigate and sure enough, the cap was sitting on top of the battery.  Thankfully I still had it, so I returned the cover to it's home and went inside.

It may seem like a minor thing, but it helped me feel a connection to my car by doing some basic maintenance.  I see a bright future ahead with this car ...

No comments: